Andrew Reese, vice president at AMEC Environment and Infrastructure Inc., will keynote the Stormwater Congress luncheon. Reese will address the ways stormwater and wastewater management differ, especially as these fields address topics associated with financial and asset management issues. He will discuss the rise of the stormwater sector, highlighting that stormwater has started to assume a more “businesslike” framework, which it’s cousin, wastewater, has embraced for many decades. There are, however, ties existing between the two sectors, and there are lessons to be exchanged. Changes in the sector, such as integrated planning, reflect the growing connection between stormwater and wastewater on both the regulatory and programmatic fronts.
Here is a sample of activities awaiting Stormwater Congress attendees:
- Gather input from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and other leading professionals on significant and timely policies. Learn about the status, elements, and potential impacts of the upcoming National Stormwater Rulemaking and the future of flow-based total maximum daily loads.
- Gain new insights on nontraditional topics, such as stream restoration and green streets design. Also check out the Best of the Low Impact Development (LID) Symposium session for more on LID from such speakers as leading researcher Bill Hunt (North Carolina State University) and practitioner Scott Struck (Geosyntec).
- Hear the latest on innovative funding and financing strategies. Larry Coffman of the Prince George’s County (Md.) Department of Environmental Resources will address the county’s public–private partnership program.
- Get the local scoop on Chicago stormwater challenges and regulatory updates, and take a tour of a sustainable streetscape project.
- Attend sessions on integrated planning, and learn how cities are using green infrastructure to address combined sewer overflows.
- Discover cutting-edge techniques and hear policy updates from the International Erosion Control Association.
- Join us for programming Oct. 7 to 9 in the Stormwater Pavilion on the exhibit floor. Learn about EPA’s Stormwater Calculator and Campus RainWorks Challenge; see a sneak preview of Water Blues, Green Solutions; hear from award-winning stormwater companies; and more. Programming for the Stormwater Pavilion will be announced soon.
- Network with other stormwater professionals throughout the conference and at the Stormwater Congress reception Oct. 7 in the Pavilion.
- Visit stormwater vendors and receive a guided tour during the hands-on mobile session on the exhibit floor.
- Come to the Stormwater Pavilion for free copies of the Water Environment Federation’s newest magazine, World Water: Stormwater Management, and the stormwater issues of Water Environment & Technology and Water Environment Research.
- Witness the announcement of the StormTV Project winners in the Stormwater Pavilion.
Get details on more than 100 stormwater presentations on the WEFTEC® 2013 mobile application. Use the QR code at left to download the application to your mobile device.